Northeast Community Fund has worked to assist needy families in our community with the resources available in a caring and Christ-like manner.
The Northeast Community Fund, originally St. John’s Northeast Community Fund, was founded by St. John’s Lutheran Church and three local businesses (Wagner Castings, CB&Q Foundries, and Superior Welding). The Northeast Community Fund was started to reach out and assist those families in the “old” neighborhood around Jasper and Orchard Streets. From the beginning, Jerry Pelz took the reigns as Executive Director to meet the needs of the community. The community quickly expanded from providing services to one neighborhood to serving families throughout the community.
The first home for Northeast Community Fund was a house located at 1119 E Condit St. which served as a residence for workers, an office, and storage room for supplies. Later Northeast Community Fund moved to a house at 1128 E Orchard St. (the house between the old school and the church). After the school was sold, Northeast Community Fund moved to its location at 825 N. Water Street.
What started as a small food pantry has developed into a large social service organization. In 2017 community leaders came together to initiate a capital campaign to build a new 17,000 square foot building at 839 N. MLK Jr. Dr. to better serve Decatur.
Today the Northeast Community Fund is meeting the needs of thousands of families in our community. With the grace of God, we will continue to serve those in need.